When rice and chimichurri sauce are combined, they create the perfect chimichurri rice dish. It’s packed with flavors like parsley, cilantro, garlic, oregano, and a kick of fresno pepper. There’s a slight tang from the vinegar, and fresh lemon juice adds to the freshness of the dish.
Table of Contents
Why This Chimichurri Recipe Works
- It’s the perfect way to transform leftover rice into a herbaceous, tangy, and zesty rice bowl.
- Works well with protein like fish, chicken, or steak, and make it a vegetarian dish with a side of garbanzos.
- It’s light and vibrant.
Is Chimichurri Rice Vegetarian, Vegan, and Gluten-Free?
Chimichurri rice is naturally all of the above.
Rice is naturally vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free. So are the herbs in the chimichurri recipe.
What is the ratio of water to jasmine rice?
The perfect ratio is 1.5 cups of water to every cup of rice. If you feel like you’ve added too much water, cook without the lid on medium heat until the water evaporates, then reduce to low heat and continue to cook without a cover.
Do I need to rinse jasmine rice?
Yes, rinse the rice until the water is almost clear. It takes 3-4 rinses. Make it easy by using a mesh strainer and bowl. Rinsing the rice removes the starch, resulting in a fluffy recipe.
Is chimichurri supposed to be spicy?
Chimichurri can be spicy, but it doesn’t have to be. The level of spiciness in chimichurri can vary depending on the recipe and personal preferences. If you prefer your chimichurri to be less spicy, you can adjust the recipe using less chili or omitting it entirely. You can also use a milder variety of chili pepper or a different spice to add flavor to the sauce.
Why is my rice always sticky and mushy?
Several reasons, including 1. Too much water. 2. The rice was cooked on low heat, with too much water. 3. It was on the heat and cooked for too long.
Chimichurri Recipe Variations
Instead of parsley and cilantro, you can make this recipe with just parsley.
Try this smoky recipe – Bobby Flay’s Chimichurri recipe.
Top Tips For Making The Perfect Chimichurri Rice
- Quality of the jasmine rice – go with an organic white jasmine rice, for a great recipe.
- Rinse the rice – rinse the rice thoroughly to remove the excess starch to prevent the grains from sticking together.
- Use leftover rice – transform leftover white rice into a delicious dish by adding fresh chimichurri sauce in this quick chimichurri rice recipe.
- Chimichurri sauce without the oil – the rice is cooked with oil. So, no added oil is needed. This will prevent the rice from becoming too oily to enjoy.
- Spiciness level – some recipes call for chili flakes or fresh chili peppers, which can add a bit of heat to the sauce. For a spicier recipe, add more chili flakes or fresno pepper.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Rice – cooked, leftovers or make fresh jasmine or basmati rice.
- Chimichurri Sauce – parsley, cilantro, garlic, oregano, red Fresno pepper, lemon juice, and red wine vinegar.
- Pinch of salt.
If you’re looking to add some variation to the recipe, consider adding tomatoes for a sweet twist. You can easily saute the tomatoes and add them to the rice before adding the chimichurri.
If you’re making rice from scratch, then simply follow these instructions:
- Season the water, add the oil, and place it on the stovetop. Then rinse the rice and set aside.
- Once the water comes to a boil, add the rice to the pot, until the water cooks down, nearly all evaporated.
- Reduce to low, and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Then, cover the pot and cook for another 5-10 minutes, until it’s fluffy.
- If you’re making the recipe with leftover rice, warm the rice on the stovetop.
- Clean and rinse the herbs and red Fresno pepper (note, if you don’t have fresno pepper, opt for red pepper flakes instead).
- Add the vinegar, lemon juice, and herbs to a food processor and pulse until you have a finely chopped mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, and fresh chimichurri with a spatula or large spoon.
Storage and Reheating
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Allow the chimichurri rice to cool to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight container. Preferably a glass-sealable container.
- Freeze for up to a month. Place the cooled chimichurri rice in a freezer-safe container, glass container, or a resealable plastic bag for longer storage. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
- Reheat the chimichurri rice on the stovetop and set it to medium heat for a minute or two. To add some freshness to the rice, mix in freshly chopped parsley and cilantro, along with a hint of lemon juice, just before serving.
What To Serve With Chimichurri Rice
Enjoy this delicious chimichurri rice with tender & juice no-marinate costillas (ribs), air fryer boneless thighs, Chipotle pollo asado (copycat recipe), sazón-spiced miso butter salmon, and Colombian chicken stew.
- 3 cups Rice Jasmine or long-grain rice
- 4.5 cups Water Preferably filtered
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil Or avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp Onion Salt
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Parsley
- 1 tbsp Fresh Oregano
- 1/2 whole Chili Pepper
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- .5 tbsp Olive Oil Optional
- 1 pinch Salt
- Step 1 – RiceHeat the water in the saucepan or pot and add the salt, onion salt, and coconut oil (or oil of your choice) on medium heat.Prep:While the water is on the stovetop, rinse the rice 3-4 times until the water runs somewhat clear. Water will not run completely clear. Drain the rice.
- Step 2 – RiceOnce the water boils, add the rice and stir. Every stovetop is a bit different. If you feel the medium heat will burn the rice, reduce the heat slightly. Ensuring the stovetop is hot enough to allow water to evaporate quickly is vital.
- Step 3 – RiceKeep the saucepan or pot uncovered until the water evaporates, then reduce to low heat. After 5 minutes, place the lid on and cook for 10 minutes or so.Fluff the rice with a fork and have a quick taste test. If the grains are still somewhat hard, place the lid on and cook on low heat for a few more minutes.
- Authentic ChimichurriDestem the parsley, rinse, and allow it to dry. Remove the seeds from the chili pepper, clean and dry.In a food processor, chop all of the ingredients for 10 seconds. You can quickly chop the ingredients on a cutting board if you prefer to chop them manually.
- Chimichurri RiceAllow the rice to cool slightly. In a mixing bowl, add the rice, then drizzle on the chimichurri. Mix the rice and sauce with a large spoon and serve.