This creamy Chimichurri is herbaceous, tangy, and slightly spicy. This 8-ingredient sauce takes less than 15 minutes to prepare. Drizzle it on your favorite chicken bowl or chimichurri steak tacos.
Table of Contents
List of Ingredients
- Sour Cream – regular or pastured sour cream
- Parsley (Destemmed and washed) – flat-leaf parsley
- Cilantro (Destemmed and washed)
- Garlic Cloves
- Oregano – fresh or dried oregano
- Red Chili Pepper – optional and can be adjusted based on spiciness
- Red Wine Vinegar
Top tips for a Simple and Delicious Creamy Chimichurri Recipe
Top Tip: Clean, destem, and dry the parsley and cilantro first to cut the time in half.
- Clean the cilantro and parsley in a baking soda and vinegar solution and rinse well to remove dirt – use a fine mesh strainer.
- Destem the parsley and cilantro (the stems can be bitter).
- Dry the cilantro and parsley before chopping – let it sit in the fine mesh strainer for a few minutes before chopping.
- A food processor can chop the ingredients in less than a minute – if you’re using a food processor, make sure not to over-chop. The cilantro and parsley can become bitter when they’re over-chopped.
Fresh oregano leaves – I didn’t have fresh oregano in the fridge, so instead made this recipe with organic dried oregano from Trader Joe’s. Fresh oregano can be found in any supermarket with fresh produce.
Red Chili Pepper – Instead, add red pepper flakes and adjust the quantity based on your desired level of spiciness.
Cilantro – if you’re not a fan, double up on the parsley instead.
Red Wine Vinegar – Add lemon or lime juice instead.
Instructions for the easiest creamy chimichurri recipe
- Take the parsley and cilantro, and in a bowl, create a vinegar and baking soda solution, and allow the cilantro and parsley to sit in the water for at least 5 minutes.
- Then using a fine mesh strainer, rinse twice to remove any dirt.
- Destem before or after cleaning
- Dry the leaves before chopping – let them sit in the strainer and pat them with a clean towel or sheet of paper towel.
- Chop the parsley and cilantro by hand or in a food processor. Using a food processor, chop the parsley, cilantro, garlic, pepper, and oregano with the vinegar for 10-15 seconds.
- Carefully mix the sour cream and chimichurri in a small to medium bowl with a spatula. Mix well until the
Carefully pour the creamy chimichurri sauce into a sealed glass container and refrigerate. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freezing the creamy chimichurri sauce will cause the cream to separate.
Creamy Chimichurri Sauce
- 1 cup Parsley
- 1 cup Cilantro
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Chili Pepper
- 3/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 pinch Salt
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 8 oz Sour Cream 1 cup
- Step 1Clean the parsley and cilantro:Place the parsley and cilantro in a bowl, create a vinegar and baking soda solution, and allow the cilantro and parsley to sit in the water for at least 5 minutes.Then using a fine mesh strainer, rinse twice to remove any dirt. Destem before or after cleaningDry the leaves before chopping – let them sit in the strainer and pat them with a clean towel or sheet of paper towel.
- Step 2Chop the parsley and cilantro by hand or in a food processor. Using a food processor, chop the parsley, cilantro, garlic, chili pepper, and oregano with the vinegar for 5-10 seconds.
- Step 3In a bowl, mix the herb blend with sour cream with a small spatula and mix well. Use it as a dip or drizzle it on your favorite protein or rice bowl.