Recaito is a delicious onion-based green sofrito found in many delicious and traditional Puerto Rican recipes like vegan arroz con gandules. The recipe is quite simple, and it’s made with onions, culantro, sweet pepper or ajicitos, bell pepper, and garlic.
Table of Contents
Can I use Cilantro instead of Culantro?
Cilantro is slightly different from culantro. Cilantro is much more delicate than culantro, and ideal as a garnish or can be added once the dish is ready to be served, or added to cold dishes.
Culantro has a long leaf with serrated edges and is ideal for sauteing or stews.
Where can I find Culantro?
Culantro can be found in the International section of the produce aisle or in a supermarket with international ingredients or international supermarket.
Can I use Frozen Garlic?
I recommend fresh garlic cloves for the perfect garlic flavor. However, you can use frozen garlic cloves rather than fresh garlic.
Can I Store Sofrito In The Freezer?
Sofrito can be saved in the freezer for a few weeks and made in big batches. I love to make a big batch of this, split it in half, and keep half in the fridge and the other half in the freezer.
Store the sofrito in a glass jar or glass container similar to a mason jar.
Try an airtight glass container to preserve the freshness of the Puerto Rican sofrito.
Delicious Recipes Made With Sofrito
- Arroz con gandules – try this vegan arroz con gandules recipe.
- Asopao de camarones or Puerto Rican Shrimp Stew.
Sofrito (Recaito) Recipe
- 1 Food processor
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Pairing Knife
- 1 Whole Green Bell Pepper
- 12 Whole Sweet Peppers
- 15 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Whole Sweet Onion
- 1 Bunch Culantro
- Step 1Ensure the processor is assembled, attach the blade, and lock it in place before adding all ingredients. In a large bowl, clean and rinse the culantro, and peppers. Prep the bell pepper and sweet peppers by removing the seeds and stems. Cut them into chunks and add them to the food processor.Cut the culantro and add them to the food processor.Peel and cut the onions into small chunks and place them in the food processor.
- Step 2You can either use fresh garlic cloves or frozen peeled garlic cloves. Add them to the food processor.
- Step 3Screw the lid onto the processor and pulse until the mix is smooth, only slightly chunky. Voila, you have sofrito or recaito.