Huevos pericos are delicious gluten-free and low-carb Colombian scrambled eggs prepared with colorful vine-ripened tomatoes and green onions and traditionally served with Colombian Arepa con Queso and a generous serving of Hogao on the side.
The tangy sweetness of the tomatoes and green onions and the savory richness of the eggs come together perfectly, and it’s a quick and simple way to make a delicious scrambled egg for breakfast.
Table of Contents
What Are Huevos Pericos?
The name comes from Pericos. Pericos are small, beautifully colored birds with bright green and red colors. Huevos pericos are scrambled eggs with specks of tangy, colorful pieces of tomato and savory green onion.
- Vine-ripened tomatoes – I like Campari tomatoes because they’re sweet and juicy and pair perfectly with green onions.
- Green onions or scallions.
NOTE: Detailed quantities and instructions are below.
- Cook with butter – the sweet tomato and green onion are slightly caramelized when cooked in butter – which adds a layer of nuttiness to the huevos pericos.
- Tomato and green onions – cook them lightly, for about a minute or two on low to medium heat. It keeps the green onions crisp and not overly cooked.
- Use a pairing knife to cut the tomatoes – For a clean and simple dice
- Can I make this recipe with scallions instead of green onions? Absolutely! Scallions and green onions are almost indistinguishable and have the same flavor profile. I have found that green onions are easier to find in local supermarkets.
- Can I add other spices? Have fun with spices. My dad loves garlic and oregano. I add salt and serve it with a side of sliced mozzarella cheese.
- Is there gluten in this recipe? All the ingredients in this recipe are gluten-free unless the ingredients have been exposed to gluten somehow. Otherwise, this recipe is gluten-free.
- Is this something I can eat on keto? Tomatoes have a small amount of sugar, but the recipe doesn’t have a large amount of tomato.
- Is this recipe vegetarian? Replace the butter with coconut, olive, or avocado oil to make this a vegetarian dish. Coconut or olive oil is equally delicious, but olive oil is milder than coconut oil. The coconut oil will give this recipe and mild coconut flavor.
Easy and Simple Instructions
- Clean and rinse the green onions and tomatoes.
- Carefully remove pieces of the scallions that may be brown. Cut the ends and discard.
- Heat a skillet on low to medium heat.
- Meanwhile, chop the tomatoes, scallions/green onions and add them to the skillet with a pinch of salt and butter. And take a wooden spoon and quickly give the tomatoes a quick stir.
- While the onions and tomatoes cook, scramble eggs in a bowl with a fork or whisk.
- Add the egg mix to the skillet until the eggs are cooked but soft.
Serve with toast or arepa with mozzarella cheese, and enjoy!
- 1 Skillet
- 1 Fork or Whisk
- 1 Small Bowl
- 4 Tomatoes Vine-ripened or Campari Tomatoes
- 2 Green Onions
- 1 tsp butter
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 pinch Salt
- Step 1Clean and rinse the green onions and tomatoes in a medium bowl. I like to clean my veggies in vinegar and baking soda mix. Then rinse twice before adding it to a recipe.Scallions have layers that can brown, remove those and cut the ends and discard.
- Step 2Heat a skillet on low to medium heat.Meanwhile, chop the tomatoes, scallions/green onions.Add them to the skillet with butter and a pinch of salt. And take a wooden spoon and quickly give the tomatoes a quick stir.
- Step 3While the onions and tomatoes cook, scramble eggs in a bowl with a fork or whisk.Add the egg mix to the skillet and stir until the eggs are cooked but soft.